On Saturday at noon on CBS, one of college basketball's best rivalries -- some, including today's guest, say it's the best -- will be renewed when Louisville heads into Rupp Arena to face Kentucky. Plenty aren't giving U of L much of a chance. Is that fair? Kentucky Sports Radio's Matt Jones joins me to discuss how this week has been down in the Bluegrass State.
Jones, a former writer here at the blog, is based out of Louisville and has become the fan's voice for UK hoops. We did some podcast collaboration last season, and with this big game upcoming, it felt right to wrap up 2011 by getting him back on. Good news Louisville fans: he doesn't totally mock you or your team! Surprising how reserved he was, in fact.
We resolve to discuss:
- From the beginning: Jones did used to write for the blog, so we get reacquainted to start things off, then talk about how much Kentucky fans hate Goodman and Parrish.
- 6:01: It's pretty fair to say Kentucky is not playing as completely as it could be. Why is that? How are the fans reacting to this season so far? They seem balanced, surprisingly.
- 10:50: What's up with Terrence Jones?
- 14:39: Talking U of L-UK, and so much of it is Pitino vs. Calipari. The two purely hate each other. Jones offers up some anecdotes.
- 18:00: Normally, the UK players get up for this game, but it's not something that consumes them. This year, that doesn't seem to be the case.
- 23:58: Talking national hoops with Jones. There's a group of 11 he sees as the most likely to make the Final Four. Beyond that, it's a big drop-off in terms of New Orleans expectations.
- 29:52: Wrapping it up with some NYE talk and the Duke-UNC/UK-Louisville rivalry comparison.
You can listen to the CBSSports.com College Basketball Podcast every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The podcasts are posted here and simultaneously through iTunes (link below). Each Wednesday CBSSports.com national writers Jeff Goodman and Gary Parrish hop on to banter and bicker. Mondays and Fridays are reserved for the most prominent voices in and around the game. Here's the iTunes subcription link. We also have an RSS feed for you to track. I don't believe they are making Zunes anymore, but nonetheless, I've been instructed to link you on how to listen via that device, too.